Colonel Jonathan P. Bakonyi spoke to Crockett County Veterans and CCHS and CCMS students in the annual CCHS Veteran's Day Program on Friday, November 9, 2018.
U N I T E D S T A T E S A I R F O R C E
COLONEL JONATHAN P. BAKONYI
Colonel Jonathan P. Bakonyi is a Joint Mission Assurance Assessment (JMAA) Team Chief for the Defense Threat Reduction Agency at Fort Belvoir, Virginia. A JMAA is an installation-level assessment that integrates information on asset criticality, area-specific hazards and threats, and vulnerabilities that may be exploited by those hazards and threats. The results enable leaders at all levels to make better informed risk management decisions.
Colonel Bakonyi entered the Air Force in 1992 as a graduate of the University of Texas at Austin Air Force ROTC program. He initially began his career as a software programmer for air defense systems in NORAD and NATO AWACS. Over the course of his career, he has been an executive officer at the group, Air Force major command, and Joint Staff levels; and a staff officer at an Air Force major command, Air Staff and Joint Staff. Additionally, he was an in-residence student at Air Command and Staff College and National Defense University. He completed two back-to-back squadron command tours at the 505th Communications Squadron and then at the 379th Expeditionary Communications Squadron, Al Udeid Air Base. Prior to his current assignment, he was the 380th Expeditionary Mission Support Group Commander at Al Dhafra Air Base, where he led six squadrons supporting a base with over 3,700 joint personnel.
1992 Bachelor of Business Administration in Management Information Systems, University of Texas at Austin
1997 Squadron Officer School correspondence program
2000 Squadron Officer School in-residence program, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL
2002 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
2003 Air Command and Staff College non-resident seminar program
2005 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College resident program, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL
2008 Air War College correspondence program
2014 Master of Science in National Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School, National Defense University resident program, Fort McNair, Washington D.C.
1. July 1993 – July 1996, Joint Systems Integration Analyst, NORAD Systems Support Facility, Tyndall Air Force Base, FL
2. July 1996 – June 1999, Chief of Communications Interoperability, NATO AWACS E-3A Component, Geilenkirchen NATO Air Base, Germany
3. June 1999 – June 2000, Commander, Information Systems Flight, 437th Communications Squadron, Charleston Air Force Base, SC
4. June 2000 – July 2001, Executive Officer, 437th Support Group, Charleston Air Force Base, SC
5. July 2001 – August 2002, Commander, Mission Systems Flight, 437th Communications Squadron, Charleston Air Force Base, SC
6. August 2002 – October 2003, Chief of Combat Support Branch, Computer Systems Office, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH
7. October 2003 – July 2004, Executive Officer, Information Technology Directorate, Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH
8. July 2004 – June 2005, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL
9. June 2005 – June 2006, Deputy Course Director, Command Studies, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL
10. June 2006 – June 2008, Commander, 505th Communications Squadron, Hurlburt Field, FL
11. June 2008 – June 2009, Commander, 379th Expeditionary Communications Squadron, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar
12. July 2009 – July 2011, Deputy Chief, Production Support Division, Office of Business Transformation, Office of the Secretary, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
13. July 2011 – July 2013, Action Officer and Executive Assistant, Directorate for C4/Cyber, Joint Staff, J6, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. July 2013 – June 2014, Student, Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Ft McNair, Washington D.C.
15. July 2014 to July 2015, Commander, 380th Expeditionary Mission Support Group, Al Dhafra Air Base, United Arab Emirates
16. August 2015 – Present, Joint Mission Assurance Assessment Team Chief, Defense Threat Reduction Agency, Fort Belvoir, Virginia
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster